Monday, April 20, 2009

Mango Season











Greetings from the scorching south! The months of Mar, Apr, and May welcome the hottest weather here in Honduras...and I'm lovin' it. Everywhere I go, there are kids eating mangos, both ripe and unripe (and even with salt and pepper--blah!), the incredible noise of 'chicharras' filling the air (the insect in the above photo) and 'charramuscas' (frozen fruit juice in bags) selling like hotcakes from Casa Suyapa. And I've just discovered my new favorite fruit (aside from the watermelon and pineapple we eat all the time:)--tamarindo! The kids love to climb in the trees and shake off all of the fruit, and then we (ok, the kids and me, basically), peel off the rind, eat the insides and then spit out the seeds...my new Central American pasttime.:) (picture of tamarindo above!)

As you can tell, I've been really enjoying the culture of Honduras lately...what a blessing. My trip home to Minnesota back in March fared far better for me than expected. I worried that coming home would make it harder for me to return back to C.A, but the opposite occurred; I missed Honduras, my kids, and spanish, and since my return, I've been savoring the moments here. Of course I enjoyed my trip home (although trying Mpls. public transit for the first time and learning to survive a day without a cell phone nor hat and mittens proved to be quite challenging--go figure!), but I realized that I enjoy the contrasting differences of my lifestyle down here...the slower pace, less dependency on people and things and more on God, a smaller circle of relationships...He has definitely stretched me a lot here!

Lots of changes and events have taken place since my last post (2 months ago!). Each year in February the kids 'pass on' to their next home within the Ranch, dependent upon their ages. Therefore, two of my little 'chiquitos' moved up to be with the 'bigger' kids here within Casa Suyapa (tear!), and we've also recently accepted new little ones into the orphanage. Above are the pictures of my seven present little ones of whom I'm in charge! Sorry, blogger is not letting me move my pictures around right now...grrr!

Also, we've taken some recent excursions with the kids from the Ranch...my group of kids spent a week at a beach nearby, and both the group of older girls and older boys took two separate excursions camping at a nearby river. Lots of fun and plenty of new experiences with the kids! Holy Week here in Honduras is also full of traditional activities, so we kept busy with those as well.

My most recent leading from the Lord has been to be in (persistent:) contact with our busy director about pursuing the start of a new spiritual mentorship program for the high school students from the Ranch whom are currently studying in the big city about 40 min. away. For a long time I've prayed for the students here and for what I've seen lacking, but my pride and fear have gotten in the way (c'mon, this would all be in spanish! Not what I had planned!), until God's grace has recently intervened.:) I'm really passionate about this need I see for the students, and I am trying to be patient in waiting on how the Lord works it all out. I need to meet with the director again soon to find out if I am the 'one' for this position, or if I am supposed to bring the ideas and allow someone else to fill it. The scary part is that, if I am to fill this position, I would most likely need to stay here for at least another year. GASP!!! I miss home a lot, though God's grace has given me the willingness to stay here to serve these kids if He's called me to it. I want to be obedient--but obedience is so hard sometimes, va?

That being said, I will for sure be home again in August for good friends' wedding and to see my new niece due to be born in June, though only God knows right now if that will merely be a brief visit or a 'for good' return! Thus far, there have been no new job leads in spanish at home...vamos a ver!

I miss you all a lot and love hearing from you! Keep in touch and know I'm thinking of you. Check out my Facebook page for many more pictures of my kids and experiences here!
Lots of love, abrazos, y besos!

1 comment:

Sharon said...

Jenna, I'm one year away from retirement and I'm seeking the place in God's hand where He may be leading me. Now, I've just talked to your mom and dad and it sounds like you may be extending your stay in Honduras. A teaching position? Where? Will you have housing? How about the school year? Do you think I might inquire about a short term teaching position? What about my archaic Spanish? Does anyone want to be tutored in English?

I'm always fascinated by your writing. And after seeing you face to face and sipping coffee with you and your mom, I know that your write like you talk and think and feel and pray. Your are a whole person. Your spirit seems so undivided. Your passion for this work is a calling, not a job.

I tried to convince your parents that a short trip to see you would be a good experience for them. For now, I think their yard and gardens and grandchildren and children (in the USA) are the focus of their experiences.

Ummmm fresh mangos. At least you have a healthy array of delectable food choices.

Take care and know that God is blessing you beyond what you can know or think or feel.

Sharon